Sentence Problem Exercise
Is this sentence a run-on?
- The bookcase is full we need another one.
- The monkeys in the primate house at the zoo have learned that they can manipulate zoo visitors into giving them carrots.
Correct any sentence that is a run-on.
- A thunderstorm is coming and it might have lightning we should go inside.
- Medieval cathedrals often used stained glass windows to tell stories to those who could not read.
- An octopus swam through the water coral reefs were all around.
Is this sentence a comma splice?
- This restaurant makes the best French fries, smothered in garlic and Parmesan cheese.
- Steven Spielberg is famous for his movies, he is known all around the world.
Correct any sentence that is a comma splice.
- The Renaissance was fueled in part by the printing press, a technology known in Asia for centuries.
- Many people believe that dreams can predict the future, dreams are often symbolic.
- No one believed he would go through with it, the odds were against him.
Identify the sentence fragment.
- Using the VCR. I am taping my favorite TV show right now.
- Soon Lee wants to be a fashion designer. Because of the beautiful dresses.
Correct the sentence fragments.
- The Louvre Museum is full of art treasures. From many countries and time periods.
- Since the recession. The school’s budget has been severely cut.
- His eyes wide. The little boy watched the circus acrobats.
Move the dangling participle to its correct position.
- The porcelain statue was still in the curio case broken in the middle.
- A woman was struck by a car bicycling to work.
Correct any sentences with misplaced modifiers.
- Driving in the storm, a large branch fell on my car.
- When reading the play, it must be remembered that Shakespeare knew nothing about modern psychology.
- Without a tutor to help him, calculus proved too difficult for Larry.
- Worried about his sister, Mario could not concentrate on the lecture.
- At the age of six, my mother gave me a violin.
(Please note that many acceptable corrections exist; these answers are only examples.)
Is this element restrictive or nonrestrictive?
- The sunglasses with the purple frames are mine.
- The city of New Orleans, once governed by France, is a popular vacation spot.