Fill in the Blanks Questions For SSC
DIRECTIONS: Each of the following sentences is followed by four words or group of words. Fill in the blanks with the appropriate word or group of words.
- One dark night a Darvesh ___________ passing by a dry well.
(a) wasn’t (b) happened to be
(c) discovered in (d) found to
- Nordisk have recently ___________ a product called Glucometer.
(a) started (b) commissioned
(c) launched (d) begun
- I had already published a novel and it was an unexpected success. I thought my ___________ .
(a) days were up
(b) chances were good
(c) lady luck was happy
(d) fortune was made
- The neighbour grabbed the boy, and rolled him on the road to ___________ the flames.
(a) cover (b) kill
(c) burn out (d) fizz out
- Sam asked me to keep this secret ___________ .
(a) secret (b) in myself
(c) amongst us (d) between us
- Sometimes the greatest inventions ___________ an idea of startling simplicity.
(a) stumbles upon (b) hinge upon
(c) starves without (d) lacks
- Real friends, genuinely wanting the best for the organisation, ___________ different garbs.
(a) come in (b) clad in
(c) dressed in (d) clothed in
- There was a major accident. The plane crashed. The pilot _________ did not see the tower.
(a) likely (b) probably
(c) scarcely (d) hurriedly
- The car we were travelling in _________ a mile from home.
(a) broke off (b) broke down
(c) broke into (d) broke up
- What are you _________ in the kitchen cupboard?
(a) looking in (b) looking on
(c) looking to (d) looking for
- I did not see the point of _________ waiting for them, so I went home.
(a) hanging around (b) hanging on
(c) hang together (d) hanging up
- He lost confidence and _________ of the deal at the last minute.
(a) backed out (b) backed on
(c) backed down (d) backed onto
- The prisoner showed no _________ for his crimes.
(a) hatred (b) obstinacy
(c) remorse (d) anger
- It is inconceivable that in many schools children are subjected to physical _________ in the name of discipline.
(a) violation (b) exercise
(c) violence (d) security
- We have not yet fully realised the _________ consequences of the war.
(a) happy (b) pleasing
(c) grim (d) exciting
- The Romans were _________ science.
(a) bad in (b) bad to
(c) bad for (d) bad at
- To ___time, please go___ foot and not by bus.
(a) spend, with (b) kill, towards
(c) utilise, on (d) gain, on
- After a recent mild paralytic attack his movements are_____ restricted; otherwise he is still very active.
(a) entirely (b) slightly
(c) nowhere (d) frequently
- Despite his _____ he had to suffer.
(a) punishment (b) fault
(c) negligence (d) innocence
- Ravi was always_______ of the good fortune of others.
(a) miserable (b) irritable
(c) greedy (d) envious